You guys, I'm on a recipe kick and I'm loving it.
Well I love food in general. And beer. But you knew that already.
This is a crockpot recipe I've used many times. Each time it changes a little based on what ingredients I have on hand.
It is based on this recipe from Mom, What's for Dinnner? This was my version this week using what I had as some substitutes.
- 1.5 - 2 lbs of carne asada meat (usually pretty cheap for steak!)
- 2 TBS cumin
- 2 TBS chili powder
- 1 TBS salt
- 1 TBS ground pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust to your liking)
- 1 can reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilis (including the liquid)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- Optional: Taco Salad Fixins of your choice/or make tacos or enchiladas with the meat!
Place onion and bell pepper in bottom of crock pot. Mix all seasonings in a small bowl. Rub the seasoning mix into the meat. The carne asada I bought was pre-sliced so I rubbed it between each piece. Place seasoned meat on top of vegtables in crock pot. Dump any remaining seasoning on top. Pour both cans, the tomatoes and the chicken broth, over the meat. Cook on low 8 hours or until meat falls apart easily. Shred and serve over your favorite taco salad fixings or use for tacos, enchiladas, or other dish!
Can you tell I used my DSLR for the photos?
Now I'm off to use the extra meat to make some Salads in a Jar!!!
Get cookin' friends. Let me know what you think!