Today is one of my good friend's birthdays and I am really excited about the treat I made for her last night. A few weeks ago, for my birthday, she made peanut M&M peanut butter bars (yes they were as good as they sound) since she knew it was my favorite kind of candy.
So I knew I wanted to return the favor, especially since I couldn't return her dish empty. My mom always taught me that.
The trouble is, this friend doesn't eat chocolate. Desserts get limited real fast when that is the case.
It's not that she doesn't like chocolate, or is allergic, she LOVES chocolate. But for as long as I can remember in the 13+ years I've known her, she hasn't eaten chocolate other than one week a year.
It was a resolution she made to herself and I am always so impressed that she sticks to it. I know I couldn't!
So I had to think outside my dessert box. And I know she's a fan of the Golden Oreo since she doesn't eat the regular kind.
Plus I had some spring strawberries in the fridge just dying to be eaten - or made into amazing strawberry glaze, which seemed the case.
I found this recipe on Pinterest and went from there. I changed a little depending on what I had and my preferences.
This was a really simple recipe - the only issue was having to clean out the processor between each step.
I can't wait to dive into these head first tonight with her.
- 6 Tbls unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1 package golden oreos, divided
- 1 ½ Cup strawberries, medium dice
- 1 ½ Tbls sugar
- 1 ½ Tbls water
- 2 tsp lime juice, (or lemon juice, which I didn't have)
- ½ tsp (heaping) cornstarch
- 8 oz Neufchâte reduced fat cheese, softened (or cream cheese)
- ⅓ Cup sour cream
- ½ Cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
oven to 350 degrees. Place 12 golden oreos in a food processor.
Pulse until it forms crumbs, add in 3 Tbls melted butter and pulse again
until crumbs are covered in butter. Empty into baking pan and repeat. (So 24 total oreos for the crust)
- Press crumbs into a 8 inch baking pan lined with Foil. Bake in oven for 5 minutes, take out and let cool on counter. Reduce oven temperature to 325.
strawberries in pot with 1 ½ Tbls sugar and 1 ½ Tbls water. Bring to a
boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until soft. You should stir this
every few minutes.
- Combine lime juice with cornstarch and stir into mixture and simmer an additional minute until thickened. Place strawberry mixture in food processor and pulse until smooth. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Place cream cheese, sour cream, remaining sugar, vanilla and egg in food processor.
- Pulse until smooth and combined. Pour on top of oreo crust, rotating pan to spread it evenly.
- Drizzle strawberry sauce on top of cheesecake. Bake at 325 degrees for 36 minutes or until cheesecake is just slightly jiggly.
- Take out of oven and let cool on a wire rack. Crush remaining oreos in a Ziplock bag and sprinkle on top, gently pushing into the bars.
- Place in a fridge covered and let set for at least 3 hours until cutting into squares.
- Take out of pan and cut into squares. Chow down!!
Let me know what you think!